Saturday, March 2, 2013

Din Tai Fung, World Square

When your traditional Chinese parents aren't so great at traditional Chinese cooking and tell you that this year you're too old for red money envelopes, the best thing to do is drown your sorrows with dumplings and comfort food. Thankfully, I was invited to down to World Square to celebrate the Chinese New Year with lion dancing festivities and lunch at Din Tai Fung.

Xiao long bao, Din Tai Fung
Xiao long bao (pork dumplings)

The crowning glory and pride of the restaurant is their xiao long bao, Shanghainese pork dumplings delicately steamed and bursting with soup. You can watch the hypnotic methodical work of the dumpling chefs in the open kitchen, folding and pleating like machine-people. Ding Tai Fung boasts the precision of their dumplings, with each having to meet the criteria of diameter and weight. They taste amazing too, perfect pleats in the soft pastry encasing pork filling with that magical burst of soup inside.

Pork Chop Noodle, Din Tai Fung
Pork chop noodles

The pork chop noodles are one of my ultimate comfort foods. I remember growing up in Shanghai being the pickiest of eaters as a little kid, and my aunties would always make me a simple bowl of noodles with fried pork chops on the side to shut me up. The noodles here are fantastic, in a clean, light broth with shallots, served with the most succulent pork in a crunchy crumbed coating on the side.

Vegetarian dumpling, Din Tai Fung
Vegetable dumplings

The vegetable dumplings are a thing of beauty, with perfect uniform pleats and slightly-translucent skin showing the lovely vegetarian filling. 

Wonton noodles, Din Tai Fung
Shrimp and pork wonton with tangy sauce and dry noodle

The shrimp and pork wonton with tangy sauce and dry noodle is fantasticly flavoursome with just the right amount of spiciness.

Truffle dumpling, Din Tai Fung
Pork and truffle dumplings

The newest introduction to the menu is the pork and truffle dumplings. The flavour combination was surprisingly fantastic, the earthy aroma of the truffle an interesting twist on the traditional xiao long bao.

Ice-cream, Din Tai Fung
Green tea, taro and black sesame ice-cream

We finished our lunch with some green tea, taro and black sesame ice-cream, served with strawberries and red bean. Yum.


Level 1, World Square
644 George St, Sydney 2000
(02) 9264 6010

Din Tai Fung on Urbanspoon

Figs & Brie dined as a guest of Niche Marketing

5 comments:

  1. Din Tai Fung is amazing, especially the dumplings ^_^! I've never tried the pork chop noodles or the ice cream though. They look delicious :) I'll definitely try it next time I'm down there! Its always interesting to see what true Shanghainese order :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the red pockets! I thought you'd just keep getting them till you get married? But anyway I love din tai fung too ! I really want to try the truffle xiao long baos next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like DTF rescued your CNY! I haven't been there for about two years but I'm desperate to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too old?? I'm lucky I still got mine then :) I thought it only stops once you get married? Anyway, at least you had yummy DTF dumplings! mm gotta try that truffle xlb next time, sounds divine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still some of my favourite dumplings in town!

    ReplyDelete