Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chocolateria San Churro, Glebe

Awhile ago I joined some scarcely-seen high school friends for deep-fried desserts at San Churro. I'm still not a fan of chocolate, however it has been established a long time ago that if you place edible things in front of me, I will eat it.

Churros for Two, Chocolateria San Churro
Churros for Two $14.90

According to the ever-reliable source Wikipedia[citation needed]churros came into existence when the Portuguese failed to re-create Chinese you tiao. Which personally I find odd because churros are known as "Spanish donuts", but hooray for historical inaccuracies! If you haven't had churros before, compared to their culturally superior Chinese counterpart, they are denser and more floury as opposed to the airy fluffiness of fried dough-sticks. They are also much crispier and star-shaped. In my imagination they make these in the same way that I, as a child, pressed play-doh through the star-shape on my fun factory. All comparisons aside, these were deliciously moreish and slightly sweet, dusted with icing sugar. When coated in melted chocolate, I suspected that a churro eaten is the equivalent of an arterie clogged. Chocolate is as good as chocolate gets, so who am I complain - after all I did end up repeatedly dipping my finger into the leftover dark chocolate pot after all churros were consumed.

Chai Latter and Azteca, Chocolateria San Churro
Chai Latte $4, Azetca Hot Chocolate $6.90

When in a Glebe cafe, at least one of the party must order a chai latte as a nod to political correctness or otherwise fear the retribution of local hipsters chasing you out of their trendy inner-city suburb on their fixed-gear bikes. The drink on the right is an Azteca hot chocolate, which is a regular hot chocolate spiced up (PUN INTENDED, FUCK YEAH) with cinnamon and chilli. It was sweet and aromatic yet subtly fiery, with the chilli leaving some warmth at the back of the mouth. And unfamiliar but pleasant combination of flavours, methinks.

Banana Bread, Chocolateria San Churro
Banana Bread $4.50

And lastly, I was the boring party-pooper who ordered a slice of banana bread in a chocolateria. Banana bread tasted like banana bread and I ended up dipping some churros in my knob of butter because at the end of the day, I still prefer savoury over sweet. Please excuse the sub-par photography effort, but keep in mind that I am missing my prime lens more than you are, dear viewer.

Cappuccino, Chocolateria San Churro
Cappuccino $3.50

Chocolateria San Churro
47 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe 2037
Telephone: (02) 9692 0119

Chocolateria San Churro on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. Yes churros are great! A little advice though. Dont dip the churros in the dipping sauce they give you. Buy a Spanish Hot Chocolate and dip it in that. That is how its done in spain and it is a way better flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been here once and it was WAY to much chocolate for me - milk is not my friend. My friends loved it though and pigged out like nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love banana bread :)

    mh.. nothing like churros on a sunday morning before study

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salted caramel is even better than the chocolate.(1) Another way to avoid the hipsters is by wrapping yourself in bacon(2), although I find that sword in one hand + chai in other is less chilling(3)

    ---
    Sources:

    (1) The truth
    (2) Experience
    (3) As above

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're blog makes me laugh out loud! (A sure sign of a good writer..) And the recipes and ideas are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete