Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Din Tai Fung Dumpling Bar, Westfield Sydney

Quick post! Once again late to jump on the bandwagon of Din Tai Fung, we visited the branch in the Sydney Westfield food court for lunch last week. I love the open kitchen, watching the chefs expertly form pleats in the dim-sum is mesmerising.

Steamed Pork Dumpling Xiao Long Bao, Din Tai Fung
Steamed Pork Dumpling Xiao Long Bao $5.80 (4 pieces)

The taste of the xiao long bao brought me some nostalgia for my childhood growing up in Shanghai. My grandmother had a saying for how I ate these steamed pork dumplings - 'yi kou, yi ze', meaning I used to devour these in a single mouthful at a time. But I digress, these are perfect delicate parcels filled with tender pork and a good amount of soup.

Steamed Vegetarian Jiao Ze, Din Tai Fung
Steamed Vegetarian Jiao Ze $5.80 (4 pieces)

The steamed vegetarian jiao ze were beautifully made but kinda underwhelming flavour-wise. However the wrappers were perfect with just the right amount of elasticity.

Steamed Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai, Din Tai Fung
Steamed Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai $9.80 (4 pieces)

I'm a sucker for shao mai and the steamed shrimp and pork shao mai here is fantastic, tasty little parcels of soft pork mince and shrimp.

Shrimp & Pork Wonton tossed with Spicy Sauce, Din Tai Fung
Shrimp & Pork Wonton tossed with Spicy Sauce $6.50 (4 pieces)

The shrimp and pork wonton tossed with spicy sauce was a winner, the wontons were faultless and the spicy sauce had kick but was tasty and mild enough for a chilli wimp like me to handle.

Soy Bean Milk, Din Tai Fung
Soy Bean Milk $3

Sweet soy bean milk is a breakfast classic in China and tastes just as good here. The food here is good authentic Chinese, it kinda strikes me as cleaned up versions of seedy but fantastic restaurants in Ashfield.


Din Tai Fung
Level 5, Westfield Sydney
Market St, Sydney 2000

Din Tai Fung Dumpling Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I just can't go past DTF in World Square...though if I needed a quick dumpling hit and I was in Westfield, well that is a different story.

    ReplyDelete