Monday, July 30, 2012

New Shanghai Chinese Restaurant, Chatswood Chase

Growing up in Shanghai has rewarded me with many lovely food memories so Shanghainese cuisine will always hold a special place in my heart despite my general impartialness to Chinese food. I was invited to sample the wine and dumpling degustation dinner at New Shanghai so who better to bring along than my family? It was interesting for us to see this modern presentation of the familiar dishes I remember from my childhood.

Mixed Cold Dish Starter, New Shanghai
Mixed Cold Dish Starter

The mixed cold dish starter was a light composition of tangy shredded kelp mixed with spice and vinegar dressing, drunken chicken - chicken soaked in Chinese wine with herbs and spices, and chopped pickled cucumber tossed with garlic. The matched wines begin with a Leo Burning Clare Valley Riesling 2011.

Mix Steamed Dumplings, New Shanghai
Mix Steamed Dumplings

The mixed steamed dumplings are bundles of joy. The New Shanghai xiao long bao is a tender parcel of soft pork and soup, the steamed crab meat and pork is topped with a savoury bit of bright orange fish roe and there's also a mixed vegetable stamed dumpling. These are paired with an Angel Cove Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2010.

Shepherd's Purse and Pork Wontons, New Shanghai
Shepherd's Purse and Pork Wontons

The shepherd's purse and pork wontons were fantastic, tossed in a savoury nutty mix of sesame butter, red chilli oil and spices. Big fat bundles of filling wrapped in chewy skin and dressed with moreish sauce, yum. This is accompanied by a glass of Cape Schanck Mornington Penninsula Pinot Grigio 2010.

Pan-fried Dumplings, New Shanghai
Pan-fried Dumplings

When I was little I hated going to Chinese restaurants with my parents because there were never any main dishes that I liked, so I'd always end up ordering dumplings. The pan-fried dumplings also has a star-shaped fried shallot pancake and a pork potsticker. The golden snacks are matched with a Fifth Leg Crisp Chardonnay 2010.

Shepherd's Purse, Pork and Tofu Soup, New Shanghai
Shepherd's Purse, Pork and Tofu Soup

Just like my nai-nai used to make. Shepherd's purse, pork and tofu soup with little pieces of prawn, a refreshing broth on its own, but I like drizzling a little vinegar in it for added flavour. The paired wine is a Squealing Pig Otago Pinor Noir 2010.

Braised Pork Belly and Deep-fried Chicken, New Shanghai
Braised Pork Belly and Deep-fried Chicken

The braised pork belly was stunning. Both my parents agreed that it was the richest, most tender braised pork they've tasted. Slow-cooked in soy sauce overnight, the pieces of pork appear almost glazed in a dark coating of soy. The succulent, moist flesh is topped with a thick, soft layer of skin and goes smashingly well with the glass of Penfolds Koonunga Hills 76 Shiraz Cabernet (2010). Served with rich, is also the deep-fried chicken - crisp strips of meat and skin that disappear quickly.

Slow-cooked White Fungus, New Shanghai
Slow-cooked White Fungus with Papaya

My mother used to force-feed me white fungus because she believed that it would cure my asthma. Unfortunately, my asthma remained and instead I developed a deep hatred of the sickly sweet medicinal flavour of the stuff and its creepy slippery texture. The set dessert of the degustation is slow-cooked white fungus with papaya.

Strawberry Milk Pudding, New Shanghai
Strawberry Milk Pudding

Fortunately for me, there was an alternative. Strawberry milk pudding was a lovely sweet and creamy end to the meal.


New Shanghai
Chatswood Chase, 345 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood
(02) 9415 3536

New Shanghai Chinese Restaurant  on Urbanspoon

Figs & Brie dined as a guest of Wasamedia

4 comments:

  1. I wish you took a picture of the deep fried chicken as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the wine and dumplings. Such a great menu! My first time trying white fungus and I have to say, I didnt hate it :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. strawberry and milk pudding how interesting. i quite like the food here and personally i find their chatswood chase establishment has more delicious food & more comfy seating :)

    ReplyDelete