Monday, March 14, 2011

Lansdowne Hotel, Happy Lemon, Glebe

I started uni two weeks ago so now instead of an idle glutton, I am officially a starving uni student. And what better than cheap pub food to soothe the woes of hunger and unemployment? I remember the glory days about two years ago when the Lansdowne Hotel on City Rd displayed banners boasting their $5 meals, but alas today the cheap eats are $7.

Chicken Scnitzel, Lansdowne Hotel
Chicken schnitzel with gravy and mash $7

I've been here many times before for their chicken schnitzel, cheap as it is, it is indisputably delicious regardless of the cheap fare. On a good day, the slab of crumbed chook can take up most of your plate but this time it was modestly sized (but heart-shaped!). The side of potato is small-ish but in all it is undoubtably filling, however I do wish there was more gravy. There is a choice of mushroom, pepper Diane sauce or gravy and chips or mash.

Across the road on Broadway, there is a bright yellow shop of happiness known as Happy Lemon. I've heard legends of their questionable-sounding concoction of green tea with cheese and rock salt, so being the fearless warrior that I am, I braced my tastebuds and headed in.

Cheese rock salt green tea, Happy Lemon
Green tea with cheese and rock salt $4.20 (regular)

First off I'll have to know I am morally opposed to the desegregation of sweet and salty flavours and yes, I have dipped fries in soft serves and no, I did not like it. So with the utmost caution I lifted the lid of my Happy Lemon happy cup to slurp some of the frothy cheese and as Grab Your Fork described it, it tasted like "aerated cheesecake tinged with salt". It was extremely odd, yet not an unpleasant combination of sweet, creamy and salty flavours. I didn't immediately fall in love but by the end I was converted, and attempting to lick the remnants of cheese off the edges of the cup. Further down the drink, the strong taste of green tea drowned out most of the mild salty, cheesy flavours, however the sweetness was rather refreshing.

Cheese rock salt green tea, Happy Lemon

225 Broadway, Glebe 2037
Tel: (02) 9571 7717

Lansdowne Hotel
2-6 City Road, Chippendale 2008
Tel: (02) 8281 2333

Lansdowne Hotel on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. man im like super curious about that crazy drink now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try that drink! Sounds crazy but so good... Happy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so yummy! I was super surprised, must go back for me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salty cheese drink is strangely addictive isn't it? I think they need to make one with a greater cheese to green tea ratio. lol. Or just serve it in a bowl with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was! I've been craving the cheese, it's so oddly delicious. And speaking of which, I went to MeetFresh today, which reminded me of Easy Way/Chatime in a bowl haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dining experience at the hotel has been good so far. If you are looking for an affordable but good meal, you can find it here. Not sure if they changed their chef again.

    ReplyDelete